January, 2019

Baird backflip on greyhounds racing ban

Major backflip: Mike Baird defends the ban in Parliament earlier this year. Picture: Edwina PicklesGreyhound racing is up and running again after a monumental backflip by the state government.
Nanjing Night Net

“I got it wrong,” Premier Mike Baird said today, announcing the industry would be given“one more chance”.

Mr Baird said former premier Morris Iemma would chair a panel that would oversee “anew regime, and ensure NSW greyhound racing is the cleanest in the country”.

He said there would be mandatory life bans and increased jail terms for live baiting and greyhounds would have to be registered for their entire lives, so they could be monitored.

The decision follows growing unrest amogNational Party MPs, who were threatening to dump their leader Troy Grant.

“I know a lot of people will be disappointed,” Mr Baird said.

However, there were two basis on which the new decision had been made.

The first was “a crescendo of feedback” from the community opposed to a ban, and the second was a report which found the industry was prepared to make a strong attempt to reform.

Mr Baird said no individual, government or other organisation was infallible.

“Sometimes you will get it wrong,” he said.

”We are listening.

“Any good government needs to ensure it does exactly that –thatit does listen.

“While we always will be prepared totake strong decisions, we also have to be prepared to listen.”

Mr Baird said the initial principles upon which the ban was based had not changed.

“The animal cruelty we saw cannot continue,” he said.

”The first path we chose was wrong, but there is a new path and I can assure you that our determination [is just as strong].

”The industryhas been given another chance.”

Mr Baird said the RSPCA had been invited to join the panel to be headed by Mr Iemma, which would also include industry and government representatives.

The panel would report back to the government by the end of this year.

Subject to the panel’s recommendations, legislation would be introduced early in 2017 to repeal the ban.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

‘I’m sorry’: Premier Baird

APPETITE FOR CHANGE: Premier Mike Baird (right) and Deputy Premier Troy Grant front the media on Tuesday to announce a wind-back of the greyhound racing ban. Photo: WOLTER PEETERS
Nanjing Night Net

A DECISIONto reverse the greyhound ban has been largely welcomed by Orange’sbyelection candidates, but some warn the future of the industry is still far from guaranteed.

Premier Mike Baird confirmed reports the government wouldbackflip on the ban on Tuesday and apologised to those in the industry who had done the right thing.

Mr Baird saidthe feedback received fromthe community showed it washorrified by Justice McHugh’s findings onanimal cruelty, whichledto the ban, but they also asked togive the industry one last chance.

“That’s what they’ve said consistently,” he said.

“In hindsight, we got it wrong – I got it wrong, cabinet got it wrong, the government got it wrong.”

The decision followed consultation by Dr John Keniry on how the industry would transition.

“He has advised cabinet there is a deep appetite for change,” Mr Baird said.

“The industry will be given that one last chance –I want to be clear, we are not returning to the status quo,the barbaric practices have to end.”

A panel will work with industry and animal welfare agencies, chaired by former premier Morris Iemma, with measures including a possible reduction to 15 tracks, breeding capped at 2000 dogs a year, a $1500 bond per greyhound and a no-tolerance policy on animal cruelty.

Nationals candidate for Orange Scott Barrett said the industry should have control of the reforms.

“I’ve said I want to see greyhound racing continue in NSW and this gives us a path forward and it’s a good outcome ultimately for everyone involved,” he said.

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party candidate Phil Donatosaid the industry should receive more of the$35 million it contributed to the intercode agreement with harness and thoroughbred racing to spend on compliance and was concerned aboutthe $1500 bond and the economic impact of closing tracks.

“People can’t afford $1500–if theyhave a litter of 10, that’s $15,000,” he said.

He and Labor candidate Bernard Fitzsimon saidthere was still not enough detail.

“Nothing will be done before the byelection and people need to be very skeptical –it’s good news but we’ve got to keep fighting,” Mr Donato said.

“Until amendments to the bill are passed, there’s still no guarantees,” Mr Fitzsimon said.

Independent candidate Scott Munro believed the change would not have happened without an independent in the byelection race.

“We know Labor’son 30 per cent, the Shooters have got 13per cent and I got 15-18 per cent–they know the numbers,” he said.

“Country people don’t forget.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Impressive gym for all

Felicity Ralph and her daughter Millie with Parkes Fitness 4 All manager Mandy Reedy. Photo by Barbara Watt. Parkes’ newest gym, Fitness 4 All, will officially open on Saturday at 8am.
Nanjing Night Net

Locally owned and operated by Shane Mann, Fitness 4 All boasts all brand new equipment in the fully renovated gym area of the PCYC in Pearce Street.

Shane said it has been a long-time dream of his to open a fitness centre for the community to be proud of.

“Having travelled the world duringthe past 10 years training in health clubs, piecing together new ideas and equipment types, I felt the time was right to make thedream a reality,” he said.

“To do so inside the PCYC, were I spent a majority of my childhood, makes it even more special!

“The PCYC is such a hidden treasure and has so much to offer as well.

“I named the business “Fitness 4 All” because I believe it truly is a health fitness centre for everyone, no matter what your fitness level, shape or size, we are here to help.

“I feel the new equipment, the floor plan inside the club, the weights, cardio, group classes and kids play area is exactly what was needed for the community.”

Shane said theequipment isthe most modern on the market and some of it (at the time it was ordered) hadn’t been seen in Australia before.

“The equipment selection provides us with the opportunity to cover all areas, whether it be for weight loss, specific sports training, weight gain, rehabilitation from injury or surgery, theaged or disabled,” he said.

The Fitness 4 All team includes manager Mandy Reed, three qualified trainers and four qualified instructors.

“I have surrounded myself with a fantastic, friendly and qualified teamwho, all being locals, understand what the community wants and needs to achieve a healthy body and healthy mind lifestyle,” Shane said.

“We are proudly associated withNorthparkes Mines and Fitness Passport and welcome any other organisations or groups to join us in building a healthy community.”

Go along andsee for yourself what Shane and the teamhave built – the doors open on Saturday at 8am.

“Come and meet our great team and take advantage of our free classes,giveaways and the super savingson our foundation membership deal,” Shane said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Ship keel logs secured

AHOY: Wanderer Replica Project publicity officer Jon Gaul with the massive logs from which the keel of the ship will be built. Picture: Liz TicknerThe Wanderer Replica Project has taken another big step forwardwith the arrival of two massive keel logs at the shipyard site atBoydtown.
Nanjing Night Net

The 15-metre hardwood eucalyptus logs, each weighing an estimated 6-8tonnes, will now be assessed for suitability by the Wanderer Replica Project’spresident and headshipwright, Morrie Lynch, of Eden.

The Wanderer Replica Projectis a non-profit, volunteer community body to build and operate a 25m full-scale replica of Ben Boyd’s 1837 topsailschooner.

The shipyard site has been established at Boydtown on Twofold Bay, adjacent to the historic Seahorse Inn, originally built for BenBoyd in the 1840s.

The keel logs were secured fromthe 730-hectareBoydtownproperty and thentransported three kilometres to the shipyard site usingloader machines on loan to the project.

This approachavoided issues involved with moving oversize logs by road transport fromforest logging locations such as Bombala.

“We’re pleased to obtain this coastal grey box timber for the replicakeel,” MrLynch said earlier this week.

“This is a good, durable hardwood for purposeslike shipbuilding, heavy construction and wharfage,” he said.

The construction phase will provide visitor educational facilities for visualinspection by school and tourist groups as the hull takes shape atBoydtown.

As the first tall ship built in Twofold Bay, Wanderer Replica willkeep the legacies of traditional shipbuilding and Eden’s nautical past alive.

The Wanderer Replica Project is looking for more volunteers, young and old, male andfemale, to work not only on the physical construction of the ship at theBoydtown site but also to volunteer for a wide range of other activities.

Help is needed for a range of activities includingfundraising, publicity,grant applications, event organisation, computer skills, food preparation, office administration, as well as education and visitor guiding.

Interested volunteers should contact Morrie Lynch on0438 805 684 or email [email protected]论坛

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

After 17 years, Kosi is back

Key forward Justin Koschitzke celebrates one of his 31 goals for Lavington this year. He will return to home club Brock-Burrum next season.
Nanjing Night Net

JUSTIN Koschitzke is hoping to play about 10 matches in his homecoming at Brock-Burrumnext season.

The former St Kilda player will return to the Hume league for the first time since he played under Brocklesby coach Gavin Adams in 1999.

Koschitzke joined the Murray Bushrangers the following season.

While many expected good mates Koschitzke and new Brock-Burrumcoach Kade Stevens to finish theircareers together, Stevens said it was never totallyplanned.

“It’s been the talk and something people assumed would happen andwe sort of denied it, but playing with himagain was inviting,” Stevens said.

“Work commitments will be his No.1 priority in Melbourne as they should be for everyone so he’ll play as much as he can.

“He’s been fortunate enough to find some clients down this way.

“It’s great he’s going to have a kick again.

“Hopefully we get a fair few games out of him.”

Stevens and Koschitzke have played the last three seasons together at Lavington with the forward kicking 31, 58 and 40 goals.

Another Panther,Luke McLellan, is set to follow the duo to the reigning premier.

Brock-Burrum will be chasing a hat-trick of flags with Dean Murphy (Melbourne) and Kylin Morey (Beechworth) the only confirmed departures.

Stevens’ signing leaves only two Hume leagueclubs –Henty and CDHBU –without senior coaches for next season.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Powered by WordPress. Design: Supermodne.